Dental health and a dazzling smile depend on much more than simply brushing regularly. In today’s Anchorage Dental BlogÂ post, we present a quick refresher course on vital lifestyle practices that affect oral health. You are probably familiar with most of these recommendations, but it is helpful to get a reminder once in a while. We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes dental health as well as overall physical health. After all, the two are inseparable.
- Eat a nutritious diet.
- Eat calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that attack enamel.
- Brush gently but meticulously at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Make sure you clean thoroughly between teeth with dental floss or interdental cleaners such as flossing picks.
- If you have children, speak with your AnchorageÂ dentist about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your children fluoride supplements.
- Get your teeth professionally cleaned twice a year.
- Have a dental examination twice yearly with your Anchorage dentist.
- Eat a sugar frequently. Sugar triggers the production of dangerous cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel.
- Snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to constant bombardment with acids.
- Chew on ice.
- Use your teeth as tools. Ever.
- Drink energy drinks.
- Get oral piercings.
- Ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
If you have oral pain or haven’t visited a dentist in a while, call Dr. Kirk Johnson,Â Excellence In DentistryÂ at (907) 349-0022 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kirk Johnson. Tooth problems get worse over time – especially if there is decay or gum disease.
At Dr. Kirk Johnson, Excellence In Dentistry, we serve the Anchorage area with exceptional dental care including general and cosmetic dentistry. Ask us about dental implants, porcelain veneers, Invisalign invisible braces, and teeth whitening.
Dr. Kirk Johnson, Excellence In Dentistry
1000 Omalley Rd, Ste 101
Anchorage, Alaska 99515